Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spotlight on West Coast Bojuka Federation President Sifu James! Part2


In Georgia I took a year off from training and reflected on the teachings that Mr Jackson gave me. Although my fear of combat wasn't as bad as it was before training with him, there still wasn't a sense of control that I knew was possible. When I looked at and listened to Bruce Lee and his teachings, there was always a supreme control and true confidence that he harnessed. I desired and longed after that control true confidence. I started down a pathway similar to his and submerged myself in all forms of reading materials on the martial arts as well as never turned down a impromptu training session with warriors of other disciplines. I sparred combatants of various styles on the regular. Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Jujitsu, Ninjutsu, Aikido, Kung Fu, etc. I would always fare well but still sensed that the matches could and should have gone more to my favor in a quicker fashion and with more ease. It was in my seventh year of training when I was convinced by another martial artist to open my own school due to the fact that I was well beyond my years in regards to knowledge. I was working at a video store then and the young brother would always have questions in regards to techniques and strategy. I would share my views with him and he would go back to class and employ them. These bits of advice helped him to quickly move up in rank. So, after the eighth time of him mentioning that I should teach, I gave it some considerable thought. It wasn't until I went to a Tae Kwon Do tournament and saw the instructor yelling and screaming at his students during a board breaking demonstration with such disrespect and disregard, I decided that in order to make a difference in the martial arts world I had to act upon my thoughts. The environment that day fully reminded me of Bruce Lee's open letter entitled "The Classical Mess." A fellow friend and co-worker gave me the initial capital to start a small but modest school. We opened up right across from a local gym where power lifters were regular attendees. At that point I was somewhat confident in my skill but to a degree there was still a discomfort when any guy over six-feet weighing more than 200lbs would be around me. I always questioned myself if I could truly handle the situation. I was haunted by that fear. Soon after I was approached by a former Wushu champion of Germany named Carl Hudspeth. He who wanted to take me on as his student. I accepted. I studied with him for about a year.

No comments: